Wednesday, June 5, 2019

1 of 30



Introduction
To most this is merely just a numerical expression; a fraction in the mathematical language.  As a decimal, it can be expressed as 0.0333, and when further classified by mathematicians it is a rational number. To me, it marks the first article out of 30 which are documented in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
The right to dignity serves as the first right in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. This charter is made up of 29 more which are all directed at ensuring that human life is respected, protected and preserved. It is undoubtedly a road-map to ensuring that the concept of social equality, harmony and justice in society is met. Let us note that the United Nations adopted this charter in 1948, and numerous countries subscribe to the United Nations including our own Eswatini. As alluded by Eleanor Roosevelt, ‘the declaration is an international Magna Carta for all mankind. This is a common standard of achievements for all peoples and all nations.
Article 1

'All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood'.

This is revealed by the first article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in my view serves as one of the most crucial items in the charter. Egalitarianism is a philosophical view that all people are equal, regardless of gender, age, sex etc. Dignity in all essence is a concept of ensuring that an individual feels respected and worthy of honor. It is essential that every individual is afforded the right to feel respected. Dignity is to be maintained if in actual fact egalitarianism is to be fulfilled.

Understanding the article as an LGBTI Identifying individual
It continues to be a notable problem in our country when marginalized groups such as the lgbtiq+ community, sex workers domestic workers etc are impinged on their rights. The discrimination prevalent comes from both sexes unfortunately. Just the other day as I was lining up in a queue at the rank; there came this woman (as old as my mother I assume). She asked as to where the line was headed, and I responded telling her it was headed to Mbabane. Immediately after responding, she gave a noticeable frown. The problem ensued when I answered her and she noticed my voice was not matching up to my posture; my voice was feminine sounding yet I looked and had been dressed as a male.  She turned to look at me, and blatantly confronted me to say; ‘you’re just like them as well, where are your breasts’ (making her way forward attempting to touch my breasts). This is not at all a sign of upholding the dignity right. The stares I started getting from people were piercing, in actual fact I felt quite violated; vulnerable. My right to dignity was violated, my personal being was dishonored. Her connotation of ‘them’ was simply wrong, and then her physical response to want to touch me was very improper. As an individual who is always advocating for the rights of marginalized groups, I always find it heartbreaking to know that some individuals tend to categorize others. On the contrary, this reveals the need to act; continued sensitization projects. I will continue to say that social inclusion is a principle with which each and every society should uphold. Why should we then tend to categorize others, put people in boxes? We are at the end of the day daughters, sons, nieces, uncles, cousins etc. As for the physical reaction from her; there serves no justification for that; after all my body is my right. No one is allowed to touch me, only if I give consent.

This is merely a personal experience of the discrimination faced by the lgbtiq+ populace because of their sexuality. I can only imagine what others like me go through during their daily lives, the ones that are fearful to speak up about such. Discrimination therefore continues to be the crux of the matter and unfortunately this is exerted onto the marginalized groups. These groups include the lgbtiq+ populace, sex workers, domestic workers etc. The mere act of intolerance is a direct denial and opposition of the right to dignity. Morsink in 1999 opines that when Charles Malik added the words ‘reason’ and ‘conscience’ in the first article; he wanted it be seen as a function on the level of knowing’. I am lgbtiq+, and indeed I am proud to be so.

Justice
Where is the spirit of brotherhood when we decide to discriminate or stigmatize other people? To question ones sexuality and choice to living is in-fact to question their mere existence. To question an individual’s right to life is in-fact a direct violation of their right to dignity and being born frees. The recently adopted Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence (SODV) Act is somewhat a much appreciated statute to ensuring that justice is met when it comes to discrimination. As the people of this land, we deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. We deserve to have laws and statutes that will support the up-liftment of mortal rights. Such laws should be explicit and clear such that mis-interpretation is not possible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Articles

Mental Health in the workplace

  Health covers a wide spectrum and it entails the overall well-being of the human. The workplace provides a series of challenges which empl...